RESOLUTION ON JUSTICE FOR ALAN BLUEFORD
Submitted to the Oakland Education Association
Whereas Alan Blueford, an 18 year old Black youth, Oakland resident, and member of the Oakland Unified School District community, who was about to graduate from Skyline H.S., was killed by OPD Officer Masso on May 6.
Whereas a Black person is killed by law enforcement once every 36 hours, per the Malcolm X Grass Roots Movement’s study;
Whereas the federal report monitoring the Oakland Police Department states that the Oakland Police Department pulls guns on Black and Latino people disproportionately to the number of times guns are pulled on whites;
Whereas OPD has provided at least four versions of what happened the night Alan Blueford was killed, including the claim that the Officer Masso was shot in a gun battle with Alan Blueford, when he later admitted that he shot himself in the foot;
Whereas the OPD:
- Engaged in racial profiling and violated numerous OPD policies;
- Engaged in a cover-up (Made numerous false statements and repeatedly changed their story);
- Showed complete disregard for the life of Alan Blueford and the dignity of the family;
- Had the coroner’s report withheld from the family for 3 months, the police report for 5 months;
Whereas, the Coroner’s Report reveals that Alan Blueford had no gun residue on his hands, no alcohol or drugs in his system, and indicates that Alan Blueford was shot while lying on his back;
Therefore, be it resolved that the Oakland Education Association pass this resolution seeking Justice For Alan Blueford, demanding:
- An end to OPD’s racial and ethnic profiling and violence against people of color;
- Stricter background checks, training, apprehension and gun use policies within the OPD;
- The firing of Officer Masso, and charging him with murder.
Further be it resolved that the OEA call on its members to support and attend upcoming coalition events in support of Justice for Alan Blueford.
You must be logged in to post a comment.